MOVEMBER GENERAL PRIVACY
Date of last revision 11 October 2017
Movember is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of any personal information which you provide to us.
1. Collection of personal information:
You may provide personal information to Movember for a variety of reasons, including:
This personal information may include (without limitation) details such as your name, image, age, date of birth, address, postcode, mobile number, e-mail address, employer or business, health information, fitness tracking information, your previous donation history, historical member information from any of your associated Mo Teams during previous campaigns, or the amount you have donated. If you purchase products or make a donation to a Mo Bro or Mo Sista you may provide Movember with credit card details and other information which will allow Movember to process the transaction. Note that Movember does not store credit card information.
- to receive information about, or to participate in, Movember or other initiatives undertaken by the Movember Foundation
- to receive information about or become involved in Movember promotions
- to receive information about the outcomes of the funds raised by the Movember Foundation
- to purchase Movember products or merchandise
- to make a donation to a Mo Bro or Mo Sista
- to provide your motivation or personal story to Movember;
- to connect your personal tracking device to participate in the Move initiative
- to host or attend a Movember event
The choice of how much information you provide to Movember is yours and of course if you want to use Movember's Services, make a donation, or otherwise participate in Movember programs and events, Movember will require certain information from you in order to provide the services or conduct the programs and events.
2. Connection of fitness tracking devices/apps
When you connect your fitness tracking device or fitness tracking app (Fitness Tracker) to your Mo Space to participate in the Move initiative, Human API, Inc makes available to Movember all historical information relating to Activity Data it holds from your Fitness Tracker. By connecting your Fitness Tracker to your Mo Space you are agreeing to allow Movember to access all historical Activity Data from your Fitness Tracker plus any new Activity Data created whilst your Fitness Tracker is connected to your Mo Space.
You can select which Activity Data from your Fitness Tracker to display as a Move activity on your Mo Space page. Movember will continue to receive this Activity Data unless and until you choose to disconnect your Fitness Tracker in the Edit Details section of your Mo Space page. If you elect to disconnect your Fitness Tracker we will continue to have access to Activity Data created up until that time, but we will no longer have access to any future Activity Data after the time of disconnection.
Activity Data includes the activity type, duration, distance, steps, calories, source information (and GPS coordinates in the case of some Fitness Trackers) but may change from time to time. Activity Data from your Fitness Tracker is provided to Movember by Human API, Inc.
3. How does Movember use your Personal Information?
The personal information you provide to Movember through our Websites may be used by Movember for the following purposes:
If you choose to provide your personal details to Movember you agree that your personal information may be displayed or included as set out above. You also agree that your personal details may accordingly be identified, recovered and displayed by internet search engines.
- to provide you with products or merchandise you have requested
- to provide you with information or other communications about Movember
- to market Movember and/or its campaigns and events
- to involve you in promotions, future campaigns and other initiatives undertaken by Movember
- to include your image, name and details on our Websites if you register as a Mo Bro, Mo Sista or if you register to host a Movember event. Note these details will appear in public search results unless you change the default setting – see below)
- to include your name, comments and amount of donation on our Websites if you make a donation to a Mo Bro or Mo Sista (unless you choose a private or anonymous donation - see below)
- to enter you into automatic prize draws if you are a registered Mo Bro or Mo Sista and meet the relevant prize draw criteria to provide you with details of how we spend the money raised by the Movember Foundation
- to analyze statistics in relation to the Movember community
- to involve you in health initiatives
- to acknowledge or reward you for your participation in Movember or a Movember initiative.
4. How visible is my information?
In certain circumstances we may give you the option to limit the public view of your information, for example:
Please be aware that if you change your Mo Space from public to a limited public view, and/or your Movember event from public to limited view your Mo Space and/or Movember event may have already been indexed by a search engine and may therefore appear in searches conducted on that search engine until it re-indexes your Mo Space and/or Movember event. In some cases the search engines do not re-index their searches so your Mo Space and/or Movember event may still appear on those search engines after you have changed your profile settings. If you have a concern that a particular search engine hasn’t removed your Mo Space and/or Movember event from their search results please contact us at email@example.com and we will contact the search engine directly to request deletion of the reference to your Mo Space and/or Movember event in their search results.
- Your Mo Space - you have the option to select a limited public view Mo Bro or Mo Sista Mo Space.
- Your Mo Team - your Mo Team Captain will be able to access your email address and the email addresses of any member of your Mo Team.
- Your Movember event – you have the option to select limited view for any Movember event you create.
Changing the default settings in your Mo Space to Limited Public View and your Movember event to Limited View mean that we will endeavor to ensure that your Mo Space and/or Movember event is not available to general internet search engines and is inaccessible by a general search of our Services. Your Mo Space will also not be displayed on your public team page (if you are part of a team) or network page (if you are part of a network).
However, you should also be aware that your limited public view Mo Space will be available as follows:
You should also be aware that a Movember event set to Limited View will be visible if shared via social media.
- to users that search for you in the “Donate” section of the Movember Services;
- if you belong to a team, then your team members that are logged in will be able to view your Mo Space; and
- through a direct link to your Mo Space.
Your donations - you have the option to make:
5. Communication preferences:
- a private donation, in which case your name and amount of your donation will only be disclosed to the recipient in their private view of their Mo Space, however your donation amount will be included in the total calculation on their Mo Space; and
- an anonymous donation, in which case the amount of your donation will be displayed on the recipient’s public and private view of their Mo Space but your name will not be displayed in either the public or private view of the recipient’s Mo Space.
Where you have agreed to receive Movember emails, Movember may use your personal information to send you emails (including marketing emails) about the Movember campaign, associated activities and the outcomes achieved with the funds raised. If you are a registered Mo Bro or Mo Sista, Movember will automatically send you an email whenever there is activity on your Mo Space or confirmation of donations you have received. You will be provided with an opportunity in each email communication to decline to receive any further communications from Movember. In addition, you can change your email marketing preferences in the settings in the “My Account” > “Notifications" section on your Mo Space.
6. Disclosure of Personal Information:
Personal information collected by Movember may be shared with any company within the Movember group of companies and any of its authorised licensees.
We may disclose your personal information to our suppliers or other external third parties for analytics and data analysis, for outsourcing some of the functions and services relating to the purposes for which your personal information may be processed by Movember, for storage and otherwise to enhance our Services. When we contract external services providers, we may provide them with your personal information, but only to the extent required for them to fulfil that contract, or where you would reasonably expect Movember to disclose it to a third party for a particular purpose.
Regardless of where in the world you reside, Movember may transfer your data outside of your own country, including to Australia and the United States, for processing, including analytics, and storage. This may result in your data being transferred to a country which has a lower standard of data protection than the country in which you reside. Wherever your data is transferred, it may be accessed by the courts, regulatory bodies, and law enforcement and national security authorities, according to the laws in the relevant jurisdiction.
We may disclose your personal information to social media platforms including, without limitation, Facebook so that the social media platforms may send you advertisements about future Movember events and initiatives and for analytics purposes.
If we send your details to Facebook they will be hashed before they are sent, and Facebook only briefly uses the data for matching purposes then deletes it: https://www.facebook.com/ads/manage/customaudiences/tos.php
If you wish to opt out of having your details provided to Facebook or other social media platforms, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not sell your personal information, whether collected on or offline, to other parties.
7. Security & storage of your information:
Movember takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of all information it collects, including that the information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For example, your personal information may be stored and maintained in a secure cloud-based environment, which can be accessed only by authorised personnel. Some of these services are hosted by third parties located in Australia and the United States. However, as no data transmission over the internet or information stored on servers accessible through the internet can be guaranteed to be fully secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you send to us or receive from us online.
Movember uses SSL / HTTPS for all data transferred to Movember.com, and has a web application firewall in front of Movember’s servers to prevent unauthorized access.
8. Access, correction and complaints in relation to personal information:
Access to personal information
You may request access to your personal information collected by Movember. Please send an email to email@example.com and we will endeavor to respond as soon as possible and in any event within 30 days of receiving your request. There may be some legal or regulatory reason why access is denied or amendment refused. If this is so, we will tell you why.
Correction of personal information
If you believe any of your personal information held by Movember is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, Movember will take reasonable steps to correct the information. To request that your personal information be corrected or updated, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a complaint about the handling of your personal information, please send an email to email@example.com.
9. Links to other websites:
Movember is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of any other website or service that is linked to a Website, or for the privacy practices of any third party social media or other service providers that you can access through a Website. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of those websites or service providers, including, but not limited to, Facebook Fundraisers and Facebook donation functionality, which may require you to provide additional personal information.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are stored in your computer’s memory and hard drive when you visit certain web pages. They are used to enable websites to function or to provide information to the owners of a website.
- Analytical purposes: We use analytical cookies that allow us to recognize, measure and track visitors to our Websites. This helps us to improve and develop the way our Websites work, for example, by determining whether site visitors can find information easily, or by identifying the aspects of our Websites that are of the most interest to them. For these purposes, we may store the following:
- the name of the domain from which you accessed the internet
- the date and time you accessed our Websites
- the advert or internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our Websites
- the pages you accessed while visiting our Websites
- the device from which you accessed our Websites
- the location from which you accessed our Websites
In addition, we use a third party service providers, to provide certain analytics services to us in connection with the operation of the Websites, including (without limitation) the collection and tracking of the data and information listed above. We may disclose visitor data, including personally identifiable information, to enable those third party service providers to provide such services. Such data may be sent to those third party service providers and their local overseas suppliers, where the standard of data protection may be lower than the country in which you reside.
Your cookie preferences
- Usage preferences: Some of the cookies on our Websites are activated when visitors to our sites make a choice about their usage of the site. Our Websites then ‘remember’ the settings preferences of the user concerned. This allows us to tailor aspects of our sites to the individual user.
- Functional purposes: Functional purpose cookies store information that is needed by our applications to process and operate. For example, where requests within an application involve multiple stages, cookies are used to store the information from each stage temporarily, in order to facilitate completion of the overall request.
To make full use of our Websites, your computer or mobile device will need to accept cookies, as our sites will not function properly without them. In addition, cookies are required in order to provide you with personalized features on our websites.
Third party cookies
Amending cookie preferences
12. Mobile Text Alerts:
By opting in to mobile text alerts, you agree to receive recurring mobile marketing text messages. The text messages are generated by an automated dialer from Movember to the provided mobile number. Consent is not required as a condition to make a purchase. Message and data rates may apply. Text MOHELP for more information or MOSTOP to 64207 to opt-out of receiving text messages.
Movember collects certain information automatically, such as the type of mobile device you use, device identifier, your mobile operating system, pages you visit on our mobile site; search terms, the type of mobile internet browsers you use and information about the way you use our mobile website and applications. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.